FSUC "ROSMORPORT" carried out consultation due to conceptual positions in designing of line 25 MWt power diesel ice-breaker
December 16, 2008 - FSUC "ROSMORPORT" carried out enlarged consultation due to problematic positions in designing of line 25 MWt power diesel ice-breaker on the October 01, 2008. Director of Vessels' Building and Repairing Department Mr. Vladimir Shtramband was a head of this consultation.
More than 50 leading specialists of ice researches took part in the work out. List of them is as follows: designers, scientists, manufacturers, FSUC "ROSMORPORT" operative stuff (staff that supervised "Moscow" ice-breaker building; master-inspectors, masters and chief-engineers from ice-breakers "Ermak", "Captain Sorokin" and "Moscow"); design bureaus that are dealing with vessel's design (DCB "Petrobalt" - the main designer, ILS OY Company, Mareine Engineering Bureau, DCB "Era-Project"); groups of research and scientific organizations that provide scientificsupport of the project ("Aker Arctic Technology" Finnish ice laboratory, Maritime Scientific Research Institut (CNII MF), Arctic and Antarctic Scientific Research Institute (AANII), Head office of Russian Maritime Register of Shipping, manufacturers of principal equipment for ice-breaker (Transas, WARTSILA, ABB, Rolls-Royce), others.
Consultation participants were informed about tasks that were put by Russian Ministry of Transport and RosMorRechFlot (FSUC "Rosmorport") for realization of Federal Goal-Oriented Program "Development of Russian Federation transport system in 2010-2015" (subprogram "Maritime Fleet"). Designs of new generation of high-power diesel-electric ice-breakers is commenced.
In speeches it was noted that RF Security Council meeting was carried out during which Arctic development problems were discussed. Basis of the state politics for this region up to 2020 were accepted at this meeting. RF President Dmitriy Medvedev assigned problem to issue Federal Law due to south boundary of Russian Arctic zone.
Raw capacity of the region must not be underestimated. According to Dmitry Medvedev's words this region is able to became "the raw basis of RF for 21st Century".
Transport infrastructure modernization has to start the beginning of Arctic development. "Absence of roads and domestic airlines which became degraded in post-soviet period and absence of up-to-date sea and river ports, together with aging of fleet (including ice-breaker one) are an significant obstacle for realization of reach investment Arctic potential."
In accordance with RF Security Council decision FSUC "ROSMORPORT" commenced the realization of the task due to new 25 MWt diesel-electric ice-breakers design in accordance with Federal Goal-Oriented Program "Development of Russian Federation transport system in 2010-2015" (subprogram "Maritime Fleet"). FSUC "ROSMORPORT" put a direction problem for design of new generation of Arctic line diesel-electric ice-breaker which has to include additional functions in utmost degree. Saying other words new vessel has to represent multifunction Arctic ice-breaker.
The same time all the additional functions must not to eliminate or decrease ice properties of the vessel. So new ice-breaker shall be oriented towards not only traditional and absolutely grounded necessity of Arctic class ice-breakers but also towards prognosis of development and economical growth of Arctic region and North Seas areas.
It was noted that world wide analyze of vessel's design for such types as special purpose vessels, offshore ones and ice-breakers shows tendency to fill these vessels with additional functions in utmost degree. For example, this idea is confirmed by information and documents from leading world shipbuilding exhibition SMM-2008 which has taken place at Hamburg in September, 2008. Same results show several estimations of perspective ice-breaker vessels principal characteristics carried out by Russian, Norwegian and Finnish specialists.
Functional abilities expansion of ice-breakers due to additional equipment arrangement, new technical decisions adoption and giving new features for ice-breakers allows significantly grow their competitiveness and increase demand for this vessels' type during exploitation.
And then, increasing of demand for expansion-abilities ice-breakers will provide them by job. So ice-breakers will became commercial profitable not only for ice conveyance but for some other works as follows:
- towage of large-scale heavy marine objects;
- crew members deliverance to rigs;
- scientific expeditions personal transportation in comfort conditions of living and work onboard vessel; cargoes moving with usage of helicopters and special equipment;
- investigation of underwater construction of offshore oil rigs with help of ice-breaker's diving complex and small remote control submarine apparatus (SRSA) from it;
- cargo transportation on the vessel's deck;
- cargo handling operations and other works with help of high power crane equipment of ice-breakers (i.g. for preparation and carrying out of underwater pipeline arrangement, during cargoes transportation towards oil rigs, when moving heavy cargoes onto ice and other vessels;
- underwater works including assistance from high capacity crane equipment, SRSA and diving complex;
- oil spill combating works with usage of booms and other oil spill equipment owning by vessel;
- search operations and water depth measuring works with help of side-scan floating sonar device that can be towaged by working boat from ice-breaker.
Taking into consideration done and planned scientific-investigation works FSUC "ROSMORPORT" examines ability of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) usage for typical operations such as ice fields and glades (pools) investigations, increasing efficiency of search operations, operative defining boundaries of oil spills etc.
Ice-breaker under design has to become a basis for future building of Arctic liner diesel-electric ice-breakers. A variety of special type equipment will be able to be mounted onboard these vessels during building or modernization without serious vessel's hull changes.
It's reasonable to arrange high capacity crane on a single vessel from first series (3 vessels total).
Also it's reasonable to use different equipment as modular unit, as follow: diving complex, small remote control submarine apparatus with working depth 600-1000 m (single one for group of 2-3 vessels); small side-scan floating sonar device (single one for group of 2-3 vessels); oil spill equipments; rescue equipment etc.
It was noted that such liner diesel-electric Arctic ice-breakers haven't been built in Russia more that 20 years. So ice-breaker under design (ice category due to actual RS Rules is of Icebreaker 8) has to correspond to the XXI Century requirements.
As a result of discussion the next decisions which form concept of ice-breaker design were accepted:
1. Providing vessel's multifunction by using, beside others, mobile modular equipment; vessel's functionality expansion due to her constructive type modification (moving superstructure fore, forming significant cargo space on the open deck, special equipment mounting).
In accordance with above mentioned modify vessel's general arrangement, deck-house structure, hull framing, layout of compartments and equioment.
2. The following propulsion complex must be accepted for further design: 2 side 8.5 MWt rudder propellers and single propeller shaft in CL.
3. Prepare results of calculations and model tests for all possible combinations of rudder propellers and traditional propeller shafts set in the technical requirements due to operational conditions. Organize and provide participation of independent scientific boards in such calculations and model tests.
4. Additionally to the previous decisions:
- arrange crane of 250 t capacity;
- carry out required capacity calculation of towing winch for basic ice-breaker design;
- provide functionality zones dividing between crew and personal.
During ice-breaker designing develop up-to-date style for main service, common compartments and corridors such as for crew members' and personal' cabins. The special care has to be taken to the visibility, style and ergonomics of the bridge.
Consultation transformed into special workshop concerning ice-breakers up-to-date design. A lot of participants took part in this workshop: beginning from future managers of ice-breakers and ending by ones who explore ice problems or deal with ice-breaker design.
Consultation participants noted that proposed style of work when design works from the first stage are carried out with help of plenty of involved organizations is highly effective, provides minimization of possible design errors and allows to solve problem of setting required operational qualities for the vessel. Involve organizations include Russian and foreign design bureaus, scientists, developers and vendors of vessel equipment, shipbuilders and managers.
Such successful discussion is required for 25 MWt liner diesel ice-breaker creation. In common this procedure may be useful for designing all equipment for development of Russian Arctic offshore are.
Please see Marine Engineering Bureau (MEB) company electronic office
Marine Engineering Bureau - non-state design and engineering company, recognized by the Russian Maritime Register of shipping, Russian River Register and the Register of Shipping of Ukraine.
Company press releases